Improved Safety Laws For Ontario Pedestrians

As a pedestrian in the Ottawa, Kingston, or Sudbury areas, walking near any roadway can put you at serious risk of being injured.  You could be crossing the road in a marked crosswalk and hit by a driver who was in a hurry to get some place or you could be hit by a driver who is under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.  No matter what the circumstances, a personal injury lawyer can help you understand the laws regarding your specific case and help you file a claim against the responsible party.

Statistics to be Aware of

Approximately 87% of all pedestrians are hit and seriously injured or killed on public roadways areas while the remaining 13% are struck off-road, on private property, or while walking in a public lane.  Furthermore, most recorded pedestrian accidents occur in more densely populated areas.  In other words, most of these accidents are going to happen in urban areas while fewer happen in rural and suburban areas.

Recent Changes to the Law

While the right personal injury lawyer can be of great assistance in your personal injury case, the recent changes to the laws regarding pedestrians are worth learning about.  These new laws call for harsher fines for driving dangerously as well as when driving and texting.  Other driving behavior such as distracted driving and driving under the influence are being monitored and the fines for these offenses have been increased.

However, one of the newest fines that went into effect was the one that applied to drivers who fail to come to a complete stop when pedestrians are crossing the road in a marked zone.  When crossing the street in these marked areas, drivers must be alert and stay fully stopped until you have crossed.  This law even applies to cyclists who must also stop for pedestrians at crossovers or where children cross with a guard. Thus, you might want to talk with a lawyer, if you have been in such a situation.

How can a Personal Injury Lawyer help?

When a pedestrian is struck by a vehicle, they can easily sustain life-changing injuries that leave them permanently disabled or will take them years to recover from.  When this happens, your best option is to hire a personal injury lawyer who can help you get the compensation you deserve for all your pain and suffering.  They will also ensure that your rights to said compensation are protected in and out of court. Oftentimes, it helps to have a lawyer that can negotiate a settlement on your behalf.

In personal injury cases, compensation is usually available for a wide range of damages including emotional distress, hospital bills, loss of future earnings, lost income, pain and suffering, physical therapy, and prescription medication.  The right personal injury lawyer will understand your circumstances and do whatever it takes to get you back on your feet again.