Why Is Auto Insurance Important For Motorists In Ontario?

Ontario’s government oversees the nature of the coverage provided to those residents of the Province that own and drive some type of motored vehicle. Consequently, it seeks to demonstrate a concern for the various needs of those same residents.

Here are the 3 questions with a single answer:

• What would happen if I was riding in a car that had no insurance coverage, and then that same vehicle got into an accident, and I got injured?
• What would happen if was walking across the street and got hit by a vehicle that had no insurance?
• What would happen if I was driving an insured automobile, and then I got hit by a vehicle that had no insurance?

The 3 options to be considered by anyone that would pose one of the questions listed above:

Check your own automobile insurance policy. Does it include coverage for an uninsured driver? If you have paid for the addition of such coverage to your policy, then your own insurance company should pay for any damages or injuries. If you do not have such coverage, or if you do not carry any type of automobile insurance, see if a close family member has a policy that might be used to cover any damages or injuries. Apply for coverage of your damages and injuries with money from the Motor Vehicle Accident’s Claims Fund.

Specific details that you should know, before pursuing any of the above options:

Your own insurance, if you have one, might investigate the accident that caused you damages or injuries. If it decides that you contributed in some way to triggering the accident, or to creation of your injuries, then your compensation could be reduced. It is good to engage the services of a Personal Injury Lawyer in Sudbury before that.

If you are thinking about using the insurance purchased by a family member, understand the government requirements, regarding utilization of a family member’s insurance. Someone that wants to use the coverage offered by a relative’s insurance must show that he or she was residing with that same relative, in the status of principle residency.

What does that mean? Someone living somewhere in the status of principle residency must have taken up residence at that named person’s living quarters for at least 6 months; that would mean 6 months before the claimed accident. You cannot apply for money from the Motor Vehicle Accidents Claims fund if you do not own a motor-driven vehicle, or you were not hit by one. If you were a passenger in a vehicle that got involved in an accident, then the vehicle’s driver must apply for the money from the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund.